Thursday, November 20, 2008

This should be fun..

Next Tuesday (November 25), Panthers' director of player personnel, Jack Birch, will join the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle for a live, one-hour open chat.

While I'm sure Panthers' questions would be welcomed, I don't expect any. Hell, I'm not even going to ask about the Panthers. Birch was quoted yesterday by LetsGoAmerks.com as saying, "We spend $2 Million a year on scouting," when asked about free agents. So I'm thinking Amerks questions, and frustrations, are going to be in abundant supply.

Putting on his shoes for a moment, I can understand why he'd be aggravated when someone that "doesn't know" tries to tell him how to do his job. But it's not earning Jack Birch -- or the Panthers -- any fans, by giving a seemingly disinterested and arrogant response.

So this chat is a good about-face from that, and it will at least give fans something. There are so many questions to be asked. There's just so little time.

If you go ahead and jump in and participate, whether you like Birch or not (assuming you've dealt with him), the only encouragement I can give is that this is something that could be very interesting, and maybe it will provide some real, valuable insight into the situation. Maybe. So if you just want to rip the guy, consider saving it for the games. It may just take time away from someone that has a good question.


I'll write again the night before for a reminder in the off-chance you actually want to ask something about the Panthers (like about Frolik, for example). Otherwise, If I'm able to, I'll copy the stuff so you can read it all later. Depending on whether it gets reprinted or not, we'll see. I'll have to ask.

For now, the Panthers and Devils are seconds away from the opening faceoff, so enjoy the game.

No comments: