Saturday, January 24, 2009

NHL or Bust for Sprukts

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle ran a story about Rochester center Janis Sprukts on Thursday; specifically about Sprukts' desire to play in the NHL or return home to Europe. If you're a fan of Sprukts, the quotes aren't all that promising.
To me, it seemed right away there wasn't much interest up top. I signed to be playing in The Show, to be playing in the NHL. I don't look at myself as an AHL player for the rest of my career. I don't have anything to hide. This is not my place.

There's no criticism by any means of Rochester, and one can only really guess what was said to lure him back to North America, but if he was promised something more, he's definitely been civil about it, and thankfully, he's done everything that he's been asked. Of course, losing a player that brings that attitude and presence is never something you want to happen.

But looking at the quotes, one probably has to assume Sprukts won't re-sign with the Panthers even if he's told that he'll play in the NHL. After all, it seems like that was the impression he got the first time around.
It's not in my nature to hang up the skates. I still have my obligation to play while I'm here. I still want to show I can play. I will always try to do my best job.

Maybe Sprukts will get a shot with another NHL club, but he can still get paid to play hockey back home, and he can sign where he wants -- and will get -- to play.

The full story can be found here.

No comments: